The main objective of LIFE-ECOdigestion 2.0 is the scale-up of technology in order to produce biogas on demand with WWTP sludge, using agri-food waste and slurry as a co-substrate. The technology is based on the one developed in the previous LIFE ECODIGESTION project LIFE13 ENV/ES/377, which targeted the development, implementation and demonstration on a pilot scale of an innovative technology that worked on the automatized control for the dosage of waste in anaerobic digesters of WWTP and, consequently, maximized biogas production and waste treatment capacity.
This general objective can be divided in the following specific ones:
- Update the tool to cope unexpected variations in inlet operational parameters of digesters at real-scale caused by deviations in WWTP process
- Modify the tool for improving its robustness, accessibility and guarantee stability at real scale
- Develop a simulation tool for the co-digestion of waste (manure and agri-food waste) with an easy user interface
- Value calculation adjustment of 98% between target (production desired by the end user) and simulated biogas every 15 minutes and obtain a model adjustment of 90% between target and produced biogas after the automated dosage of co-substrates
- Valorise agri-food waste as co-substrate and then convert these residues into by-products, accordingly with COM(2014) 398 Final and Directive 2008/98/CE. This objective has been formulated in the framework of the application of waste hierarchy principle (Directive 2008/98/CE)
- Increase the amount of agri-food waste that can be treated in existing real-scale facilities in WWTPs where currently are doing the co-digestion in about 192% compared to the amount co-digested nowadays, assuring the stability of the reactor and on-demand biogas production
- An increase up to 14% in the biogas production with the same amount of co-substrate added by means of the most favourable waste and mixture dosage and system stability
- Make reliable for market the use of biogas to covert industry energy demand with green energy in the framework of the EU objectives of achieving 20% energy from renewables in 2020 and at least 27% in 2030
- Reduce of a yearly emission of GHG up to 24,343 tons CO2 equivalent (CO2-eq)/year and other gases that promotes acid rain, such as SO4 and NOX, in 8,977 kg and 6,465 kg, respectively during the execution of the project
- Develop a communication plan focus on targeted segments of water scientific and technical community, society and industry and companies that manages WWTP.