El principal objetivo de LIFE-ECOdigestion 2.0 es el escalado de la tecnología para la producción de biogás bajo demanda con lodo de EDAR, usando como cosustrato residuo agroalimentario y purines. La tecnología está basada en la desarrollada en el anterior proyecto LIFE ECOdigestion LIFE13 ENV/ES/377, cuyo principal objetivo fue el desarrollo, implementación y demostración a escala piloto de una tecnología innovadora de control automático de la dosificación de residuos en digestores anaerobios de EDAR y, consecuentemente, maximizar la producción de biogás y la capacidad de tratamiento de residuos.
This general objective can be divided in the following specific ones:
- Update the tool to cope unexpected variations in inlet operational parameters of digesters at real-scale caused by deviations in WWTP process
- Modify the tool for improving its robustness, accessibility and guarantee stability at real scale
- Develop a simulation tool for the co-digestion of waste (manure and agri-food waste) with an easy user interface
- Value calculation adjustment of 98% between target (production desired by the end user) and simulated biogas every 15 minutes and obtain a model adjustment of 90% between target and produced biogas after the automated dosage of co-substrates
- Valorise agri-food waste as co-substrate and then convert these residues into by-products, accordingly with COM(2014) 398 Final and Directive 2008/98/CE. This objective has been formulated in the framework of the application of waste hierarchy principle (Directive 2008/98/CE)
- Increase the amount of agri-food waste that can be treated in existing real-scale facilities in WWTPs where currently are doing the co-digestion in about 192% compared to the amount co-digested nowadays, assuring the stability of the reactor and on-demand biogas production
- An increase up to 14% in the biogas production with the same amount of co-substrate added by means of the most favourable waste and mixture dosage and system stability
- Make reliable for market the use of biogas to covert industry energy demand with green energy in the framework of the EU objectives of achieving 20% energy from renewables in 2020 and at least 27% in 2030
- Reduce of a yearly emission of GHG up to 24,343 tons CO2 equivalent (CO2-eq)/year and other gases that promotes acid rain, such as SO4 and NOX, in 8,977 kg and 6,465 kg, respectively during the execution of the project
- Develop a communication plan focus on targeted segments of water scientific and technical community, society and industry and companies that manages WWTP.